Tropical diseases, HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and poor health care affect the lives of billions of people around the world. ITM advances the medical sciences which can improve their fate, through fundamental and applied research, advanced education and the provision of expert services.
The Department of Public Health (DPH) at ITM focuses on the health of populations. We carry out research on the epidemiology and control of tropical diseases and health problems. We study the health care organization, health systems and policy, including maternal and reproductive health issues. The department aims at expanding the evidence-base for health policy and health-related interventions.
The Maternal and Reproductive Health Unit is part of the Department of Public Health and aims at the promotion of population health by contributing to technical and policy decisions in the domains of maternal and reproductive health. We keep a health system perspective in our training, research and service delivery activities.
- You have a PhD and a master degree in public health or related field in epidemiology.
- You have a strong epidemiological background.
- You have relevant research experience in the field and publications in international journals.
- You have strong writing skills and experience with writing grant proposals and attracting research funds.
- You are able to interactively teach to international students. You have excellent knowledge of English. Knowing of French is an asset. You also know Dutch or are willing to learn Dutch.
- You can work well in a team.
- You are willing to perform missions overseas.
- You will contribute to develop the unit’s research projects in the domain of maternal and reproductive health, including conceptualising new research, writing grant proposals, applying for competitive grants, and publishing your research finding.
- You will teach and coach master and postgraduate students in the field of maternal and reproductive health, and will contribute to developing teaching materials (e-learning).
- You will collaborate with other units within ITM and partners outside ITM, including partners in low and middle income countries, building up networks.
- An intellectually stimulating, international and socially committed environment, with room for personal initiative. The ITM is situated in the centre of the vibrant city of Antwerp.
- A full-time contract of one year with a possibility to extend it.
- Starting date: as soon as possible in 2017.
- A salary package depending on your profile and professional experience, including supplementary benefits such as additional private pension scheme, public transport subscription and/or bicycle fee, meal vouchers subscription.