The Department of Clinical Sciences of the Institute of Tropical Medicine concentrates on patient-based research, training and services, with emphasis on tropical and infectious diseases in low-resource settings. Over the past decade, antibiotic resistance has become a topic of increasing scientific interest in the department. The Unit of Tropical Laboratory Medicine (headed by Prof. Jan Jacobs) promotes quality management systems in medical and reference laboratories in the South (Sub-Saharan Africa, Cambodia, Peru). One of the activities is implementation of clinical bacteriology and microbiological surveillance in particular for invasive bacterial infections. For this project, we are looking for a scientific fellow.
- You hold a master in (bio)medical sciences, biology, pharmacy or equivalent, a PhD is an asset.
- You have knowledge and experience in the field of tropical medicine and international health or equivalent.
- You have hands-on skills and experience with clinical laboratory.
- You have a can-do attitude and embrace day-to-day variation on the job.
- You are proficient in English and French, knowledge of Dutch is an asset.
- You have excellent organisation, networking, management and writing skills.
- You are a team player with good communication skills who can build strong multidisciplinary working relationships.
- You find it gratifying to work in a multicultural environment and are willing to travel overseas on a regular basis.
- You will implement and coordinate our projects that aim to build laboratory capacity in clinical bacteriology and laboratory medicine in low-resource settings .
- You will coach and support our partners in low-resource settings in achieving quality targets in laboratory medicine, particularly in clinical bacteriology and antimicrobial resistance surveillance.
- You will develop and carry out the practical organisation of joint activities with our partners in low-resource settings in the frame of the above: protocol writing, documenting, training, implementing quality assurance, assistance in data analysis and writing reports.
- You will coach and support our partners during their study visits at ITM: preparation of study visit, daily coaching, assistance in planning of activities, conducting and processing laboratory and data analysis, preparing results for dissemination towards professional and scientific communities.
- You will contribute to the laboratory characterisation of pathogens recovered from on-going projects (identification, antibiotic susceptibility testing, contacts with reference laboratories).
- You will support practical organisation of educational activities in the scope of the above.
- You will contribute actively to application for external funding for these activities and participate in national and international networks
- An intellectually stimulating, international and socially committed environment, encouraging personal initiative and development.
- A job in the historical and vibrant city centre of Antwerp.
- A full-time contract of 2 years, extendable. Starting date as soon as possible.
- A salary package depending on your profile and professional experience, including supplementary benefits such as additional private pension scheme, public transport subscription and/or bicycle fee, meal voucher subscription.